For the first time, Flanders DC and Wallonie Bruxelles Design Mode (WBDM) joined forces for the Maison&Objet trade show in Paris. From January 19th till 23rd, the 10 brands selected for the 2018 edition were on display at a shared stand in the NOW section.
The brands on display have been chosen for their standing in a very competitive market, their innovation (as much in the choice of materials as production processes, including handmade products, which are very well represented in this selection), their participative approach to design, a commitment to the environment through recycled materials and products which are built to last, and production which favours made in Belgium.
The selected designers have been chosen to complement one another, offering a wide and diverse range of products: furniture, lamps, wallpaper, indoor and outdoor objects, etc. Apart from two brands, all the designers selected for this year were taking part in the trade show for the first time. For them, this represented a fantastic opportunity for growth and development.
- Launched in 2017, ars fabricandi is a furniture and interior design studio which creates a new cosmopolitan design language, linking innovation to craftsmanship and tradition. The collection genesis encompasses a series of designs (furniture, objects, lighting) with a common vision of change in time and space, leaving the viewer fascinated by the game of lights, colors, and structures.
- Atelier Belge is a design studio specialised in quirky interior items with a sophisticated design, aiming at functionality and personalisation. The modular unit ‘Loopholes’ is their pièce de resistance: its minimal design excels in simplicity; the different setups are unlimited and the constant stream of new applications encourage you to completely customize the grid.
- Calla Garden is a smart, automated, indoor garden that takes care of your herbs. This innovative product is equipped with horticultural LED technology and a self-watering system to provide herbs with everything they need for up to several months.
- With a fascination for patterns found in nature, Gobo Lights plays with the timeless laws of sacred geometry to adorn spaces with its elemental forms. As part of this first exhibition at Maison&Objet, Gobo Lights will be presenting Golden cuboids and Snowdrop. Like a flower, this piece seems to blossom, radiating warm light through its natural stone petals.
- The Antwerp design studio Kabinet Van Look mainly uses wood and geometrical shapes, creating pieces that play with the perception of space and depth. With Nebula, Van Look will present a piece of furniture with strong character, a massive-minimal eye-catching design that makes noise in harmony.
- Monsieur Tricot brings the first knitted weatherproof lighting that merges modern structures and subtle reflections, resulting in a sophisticated appearance, which creates a warm and stylish atmosphere.
- Objekten Systems believes in design as a tool for simplifying the day-to-day. This year the brand introduces several important new products, including the FABRIC chair collection, a foam-free chair produced with the latest 3d knitted technologies, and the new, modular RADAR seating system.
- Impassioned by traditional paper crafting, typography, and beautiful, tangible design, Redopapers researches methods for transforming excess paper into designer products. This translates into their own product line, which includes diaries, perforated notepads, and weekly planners.
- Curiosity and passion are watchwords at Tenue de Ville, a pattern design agency and a brand of high-end wallpaper. The new Saudade collection gains inspiration from unfamiliar geographies. The sleek, Asian-inspired lines are back, mixing with local art deco touches, fauna and flora, contemporary art, architecture, literature, and everyday life.
- The furniture of Vonk are designer pieces which fit perfectly into the imperfection of life; beautiful things for people who want to enjoy life year in, year out. Right out there in front, if you want, or
hidden away, if necessary.
Did you visit the Maison&Objet trade show? Our booth was at Hall 7 - Now! / Stand A169.