EUNIC Call for Participation - DIPLOMA SELECTION 2018
The international competition of European diploma works in the field of product design and fashion announced by EUNIC Cluster Czech Republic (European Union National Institutes for Culture) and Designblok, Prague International Design Festival.
Designblok - Prague International Design Festival
It has been the most important event in the field of design, fashion, and jewellery in the Czech Republic since 1999. During its existence, over the past
18 years, the organizers have successfully collaborated with national institutes for culture and embassies on presentations of designers from the respective countries. Attended by both experts and the public alike, the event attracted over 52,000 visitors in 2017.
Every year, Designblok supports young designers. As an EUNIC initiative, a special project has been set up for the selection of the best Czech and foreign graduates in the field of fashion and product design from prestigious European academies and universities. This project is called Diploma Selection.
- Presentation of the best contemporary Czech and international graduation projects in the field of product design and fashion at a professional level within Designblok official programme.
- Unique venues. Designblok takes place at the Industrial Palace of the Prague Exhibition Grounds and nearby locations such as National Museum Lapidary.
- Main exhibition venues are Superstudio (manufacturers, major brands, distributors, lifestyle etc.) and Openstudio (young individual designers, foreign guests, studios, schools etc.).
- Product design graduates will be presented in a group exhibition and the Fashion graduates will present their collections at a fashion show. Form, timing of fashion shows and other details shall be announced duly.
- Accompanying programme consists of presentations, lectures, openings, special installations, fashion shows, design, art and fashion talks, workshops, guided tours, etc.
- Cooperation with EUNIC – joint efforts, networks and financial means can be more efficient in providing opportunity for young talents and creating a platform for individual country presentations.
- Added value – Designblok is highly known, respected event, with a strong social potential, attracting thousands of visitors each year and having a matching role among designers, programmers, production companies etc.
Activities and deadlines
- Proposal of Diploma works by graduate students to be taken into the selection by the Designblok board of curators – 9/7/2018
- Designblok board of curators announcement of the selected designers – 13/8/2018
- Providing promotional materials (photos etc.) and information for the printed catalogue, newspaper, programme and website – 31/8/2018
- Designblok dates: 25 – 29/10/2018
- Product design presentation and meeting of the jury: 27/10/2018
- Fashion show date and meeting of the jury: 27/10/2018
- Award ceremony: 27/10/2018
Project involvement criteria
- Selection of Diploma graduation projects in fashion and in product design / representative of each participating country (cultural institute or an embassy) will provide the graduate diploma work(s) or designer portfolio(s), including a short description of the diploma project to the Designblok board of curators for the final selection. Each country can submit about 1 to 3 graduate projects per category (product design and fashion), depending on the respective budget.
- Ideas for members of international jury are welcome.
- Agreed and confirmed financial contribution of the individual participating country. The costs to be covered by the co-organizing cultural institute or an embassy are
- transport of the selected collection(s) and insurance (if necessary)
- travel costs of the selected designer(s) and/or jury member(s)
- accommodation while Designblok for the selected graduates and jury member(s)