Open call atelier LUMA
Atelier LUMA is a programme of the LUMA Foundation. It is a think tank, a production workshop and a learning network developed as part of the new creative, production and research center currently under construction in the city of Arles, France. The call for submissions for atelier LUMA's designers in residence in 2018 is now open and the deadline for applications is January 5, 2018.
Who can apply?
Designers, architects, engineers, researchers and other practitioners from all over the world are invited to submit research proposals that can benefit from the know-how and expertise of atelier LUMA.
Proposals should present innovative directions for engagement with local resources and assets, and can range from materials research to social services and impact. Proposals should also outline a research direction and a preferred topic of engagement, with the understanding that atelier LUMA will act as a mediator in the region, connecting designers with local partners and resources, and assisting the research grantees during all steps of their project development.
Submitted proposals should take into consideration the following criteria:
- Is the project respectful of the environment? Is it low-footprint?
- Use of local resources
- Does the project make use of local resources, both material and human? Does it have the potential to foster economic development in the region?
- Does the project promote a humble, respectful and inclusive attitude? Does it promote excellence in quality and service?
- Culture and Education
- Does the project encourage the discovery and/or use of new skills, or the rediscovery of traditional ones? Does it promote the sharing of knowledge? Does it employ diverse/new ways of making and manufacturing?
- Innovation and excellence
- Does the project foster partnerships and business opportunities of an innovative kind? Does it promote excellence in all its outcomes? Will it create a positive impact on the city and the region?
What's in it for you?
Grantees will be expected to conduct a one year research with a flexible period of residence in Arles. In addition to a designer fee, the recipient will receive an allowance to realise their project (subject to the scope of the proposal).