Open call: Fashionclash Festival 2019
Fashionclash presents the 11th edition of the international and interdisciplinary fashion festival in Maastricht: Fashionclash Festival (FCF). During this three-day festival, over more than 100 emerging designers and artists from all over the world get the opportunity to show their work to a diverse, international audience. The multidisciplinary program contains fashion shows/presentations, exhibitions, installations, awards, fashion talks, theatre and dance performances and more.
FCF is all about discovering, stimulating and co-shaping the current developments in fashion and unlocking these developments for a wide audience. FCF functions on the one hand as a platform for designers and artists and for showing the latest developments in fashion and on the other hand as a cultural manifestation where the role of fashion in the context of society is questioned and fashion is used to raise awareness. The program is a reflection of the current spirit of the world through the art of fashion: an eclectic clash of visions, stories, and styles from outspoken and avant-garde new generation of designers.
The content of the festival is based and curated on the substantive starting points from which all activities are developed: Clash and Fashion makes sense.
- Clash stands for the avant-garde and the innovative new fashion generation that seeks out the boundaries of the discipline. Clash stimulates and initiates interdisciplinary collaborations and presentations.
- With Fashion makes sense, Fashionclash aims to stimulate designers, the industry and the public to think about the state of the fashion industry. What is the importance and role of fashion in our society and how can fashion contribute to a better world and well-being?
You can apply for two components of the Fashionclash Festival:
- The Show program: 1 — 2 November 2019
- The Route: 1 — 3 November 2019
If you would like to participate in both components, please make sure you apply for both components at once.
The Show program
The Show program is a showcase for designers, performers, and artists. There is room for all kinds of styles of fashion design; from avant-garde and haute couture to street and sports styles, menswear and women’s wear. The Show program provides a stage for approximately 25 collections. The overall approach to the presentation will be conceptual and performative, aiming to create unique experiences. All collections are presented within one overall concept, but within this, each collection will have its own presentation.
The Show program is divided into four blocks:
- NextGen: Outspoken and innovative young designers who graduated no more than three years ago.
- NextLevel: Proven fashion talents, graduated for at least three years.
- Clash: Designers and artists who show fashion as art and/or question the boundaries of fashion. For example by applying a form experiment or by the innovative way of presenting. In this block projects, specially initiated for the festival, will be presented. Such as the iconic CLASH-Projects.
- Partners and awards: A Showcase of designers who have won their participation in cooperation with national partners such as ModaLisboa, Kunstbende and the winners of the Fashion Makes Sense Award. In this block, the award ceremony will take place.
The participation fee depends on the number of outfits you'll present. More info about the fee you will find in the application form.
The Route includes a collection of activities and presentations spread over various locations in the city of Maastricht. The Route gives the festivals’ visitors and participants a chance to explore Maastricht; the events will take place at various (unusual) locations spread over the city such as museums, shops, public space etc. All in walking distance, the Route is a multidisciplinary showcase of fashion in the broadest sense of the word.
Signing up for The Route is open to everyone, however, Fashionclash will make a selection. Participation of The Route is free of charge.