Open Call: London Design Biennale
Design In An Age Of Crisis is a global OPEN CALL inviting radical design thinking from the world’s design community, the public and young people. It seeks to harness the creativity that comes from crisis. We want to hear your radical design thinking about the world you want to live in. How can we create healthier, greener, equal and prosperous societies?
We are living in an age of global crises which the Covid-19 pandemic has intensified. These include: the poor health and unhealthy living situations of millions of people across the world; the escalating climate emergency; deeply embedded social and economic inequalities in our societies; and the rapid transformations in work and the economy which will affect the employment and livelihood opportunities for all.
The OPEN CALL consists of four briefs created by an international steering group of over fifty designers, academics, entrepreneurs and business leaders, across four critically affected areas: environment, health, society and work. We want to hear about your radical design thinking and visions for how the daily lives of people either within your community, or the world at large could be improved. We strongly encourage collaborations, as well as individual submissions. You are invited to respond to one of these briefs, or to all four.
Open Call for designers, young people and the public to have the opportunity to be:
- Selected for an online exhibition, Design In An Age Of Crisis, from Autumn 2020
- Exhibited at the London Design Biennale at Somerset House in June 2021
- Considered for further development and implementation by Chatham House
- Environment- Building back greener: how can we design better places?
- Health- From illness to wellness: how can design make it easier to be healthy?
- Society- Empowerment and equality for all: how can design help empower everyone?
- Work- Making work work for us: how can work be designed to be more meaningful?
Who is eligible?
This opportunity is open globally. Submissions are welcome from individuals and groups, through to professionals and practices. You can choose to respond to one brief, or all four. There is a specially designed brief for young people under 18.
Submissions can be in any format and any stage of thought, from a simple sketch to a fully developed concept.
YOU CAN SUBMIT WORK IN ANY OF THESE FILE FORMATS:
- PDF, WORD DOC, PPT VIDEO (10 seconds – 1 minute) in mp4, vimeo, YouTube link
- AUDIO (music, podcast, sound) in mp4, vimeo, YouTube, psa
- IMAGES jpeg, eps, ai or gif format
All submitters retain ownership and copyright of their work. However, by submitting your idea, you consent to allow London Design Biennale, Chatham House, Somerset House and any collaborating partners and supporters the opportunity to feature and promote your work as part of an exhibition and across advertising and marketing channels.
For more information click here.