Toulon International Festival Interior Design
Following the celebration of the tenth anniversary of the International Design Parade festival in Hyères, The villa Noailles has committed itself in 2016 to a new proposition in Toulon devoted to interior design and decoration.
Interior Design Competition
Within the scope of the villa Noailles’ festivals, Design Parade Toulon unites several exhibitions around a competition designed to reveal and support young interior designers, an unprecedented project of this kind in France. Through this innovative platforme, the villa Noailles aims to further its support for young design, meanwhile gathering together designers, members of the industry, journalists, and the general public. There are two segments to the festival: design in Hyères and interior design in Toulon.
In the context of Design Parade
The Design Parade festival presents ten young international interior designers selected by a prestigious jury, was presided by India Mahdavi and Vincent Darré. Competitors are asked to create a living room and a display window, that will be produced with the help of the festival and its partners. Several exhibitions are scheduled in Toulon, in addition to the projects of the ten candidates and will define a path through the city. The creations of the finalists are at the center of the festival, gathered in a remarkable building at the heart of the historical city center.
- The competition is open to all designers at least eighteen years old.
- Collective submissions – made by maximum two artists – are accepted.
- Projects submitted for the competition must not have been previously exhibited neither in a cultural institution in France, nor at a European trade fair.
- We recommend you to present exclusive projects.
The competition consists of a style exercise: a design for a room in a costal villa by the Mediteranean sea (either a living room, dining room, library, bedroom, or an office).
Assistance and partnerships
The project must be achievable with a budget of 1500 euros (including taxes), a budget will be awarded by the festival to the ten selected compititors (on presentation of a provisional budget), and further assistance will be provided by the festival's logistical support and that of its partners.
- The candidates can use a selection of materials, furnishings and objects made available by the festival’s partners.
- The villa Noailles will also make available a selection of objects and works created by former festival winners and friends of its festivals: photographs, furniture, objects (E. & R. Bouroullec, Normal Studio, B. Pot, J.B. Fastrez, C. Guisset...).
- The festival will cover the costs involved in transporting this furniture and these objects from Paris. The participants are responsible for their own travel costs.
- The festival can advise and assist in organising this. The festival takes responsibility for the cost of your stay in Toulon, transport (from your accommodation to the exhibition space) and catering for the selected candidates.
- Candidates can find additional partners for the creation of their projects (sponsoring companies, antique dealers, etc.) and benefit from the assistance of their home countries (embassies, foundations, etc.).
How to participate?
Sign before March fist, 2018. Download plans'kit and photographies on the website.
- a PDF dossier, three pages maximum, illustrating examples of your previous work (not being entered for the competition), mention PORTFOLIO on these three pages.
- a PDF dossier, ten pages maximum, illustrating the project competing for the Grand Prix Design Parade Toulon, including a briefing note, mood board, sketches, 3D views, plans, technical specifications, colour and materials board, list of furniture and objects, photos and model. Label these items with DESIGN PARADE TOULON 3.
Complete your dossier and send it before march 12, 2018
YOUR DOSSIER MUST CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING:
- the corresponding prints for the projects previously sent my email, A3 sheet design and, if available, original drawings with your surname and first name.
- a cover letter and a CV detailing your education and solely your experience in the design industry
- a list of industry figures you would like to participate to the jury (maximum of eight)
- a printed copy of your completed entry form as sent via email for the first round
An initial selection will be held in Hyères around March 5, 2018.
Then, the 2018 jury - a committee consisting of well-known individuals from the spheres of interior architecture, edition and journalism - will sit around the 20th of March 2018 in order to select the ten designers who will exhibit in the festival.
The ten shortlisted designers will be personally contacted over the phone by the organization. You must then:
- provide the festival with texts and photographs of your selected projects
- and agree, by a sign contract, to be present in Toulon from Tuesday June 26 until Monday July 2, 2018 included. The cost of catering and accommodation will be convered by the festival.
Grand Prix Design Parade Toulon Van Cleef & Arpels
- a grant of 5000 euros offered by Van Cleef & Arpels
- a personal exhibition the following year in Toulon, as part of the festival
- an exhibition at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris
- a collaboration with Moustache, which will produce a scenic wallpaper with the laureate that will join its collection in summer 2019
- a possible grant of 5000 euros offered by Blackbody for a collaboration with Blackbody at one of the laureate customer
- the possibility to collaborate with the Nouveau Musée National de Monaco in the achievement or the adaptation of the project presented
- a 1-year subscription offered by Intramuros magazine
- a copy of the book Peter Marino Art Architecture offered by Phaidon